Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 04: …first lesson plan and a need driven project…

In the second semester of a program in theoretical linguistics, with a work load above the head and where nearly everything is scientific and where you have very little space to express yourself  might force one’s life to be boring. Quite contrary to that, the web-skills course I find offers space and scope for imagination and an opportunity to express myself. I wish I could contribute more to the discussion threads. But, right now it is a fight against time and a determination to never give up.

What was most important for me this week was leaning to prepare a lesson plan. This was my first lesson plan ever and, to add to its excitement was the “technology enhanced” part. It was enjoyable.

The discussion based on the evaluation, usefulness and effectiveness of the websites for reading, writing and vocabulary development provided me with an opportunity to learn not only a lot of websites that are really useful but also ways to evaluate the uses of a website. It also helped me find a gem like website: Learning Resources, which is my favorite now.
Writing about an ‘issue in the class that technology can help solve’ taught me to think about ways to plan need-driven class projects. This is quite contrary to what I used to do with regard to lesson planning and projects. All in all it was a week full of excitements and a lot of new learning.

Tharanga

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tharanga,

    I totally agree with the last point you made in your entry. I normally do not think much(shame on me) about the possible issue in my class when I do lesson planning. This exercise refreshes my mind and makes me think more about my lesson even before it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in what kind of work within linguistics you are doing. Hope I get to hear sometime.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete